Saturday, November 13, 2010

Morning Glory

Monday Miss Emily Ficker scored passes to an advanced screening of Morning Glory, starring Rachel McAdams, Patrick Wilson, Diane Keaton, Harrison Ford and Jeff Goldblum. We arrived more than an hour and a half before the movie started, and for these screeners, that sounds crazy early, but it was perfect. Well, perfect may not be the right word, early enough, yes. In time for the crazies, yes. In case you missed Emily's and my delightful exchange on facebook, there was a group of people that had chairs, they all knew each other and they were coo-coo for cocoa puffs. I was completely prepared to wait in line, next time I'll be prepared for the side of crazy. I'll try not to over-boil with furry when they cut in line just because they know someone already there.

I loved the movie! It delivered. It was hilarious, it made me cry...well almost, I did well-up. It completely passed my new standard of: "did it reflect the trailer while being more than than just the trailer." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9lWUqraDoU (ps, I totally love the song that is played in the trailer, Natasha Bedingfield's Strip Me). I find myself in my usual spot between the rock and the hard place -- when I like a movie, I don't want to oversell it or give too much away. I am a big believer in movie expectations, if too high, one might not like a movie, they have every reason to like!
Another shout out to Marla's movie night! We watched the Back-Up Plan last night (not the best, its slapstick in parts, serious in others and as a result is too uneven. And my rom-com test of the too cheesy ick factor, totally does not pass. Way too many moments that make me squirm because of the cheese). Movie night is SO much fun! There is no movie the week of Thanksgiving, but next week in honor of the holiday, we'll be watching HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS! One of my all-time favorite movies.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you could just give a brief synopsis of the basic plot line (So-and-so gets a job at a morning show and then hilarious antics ensue when Harrison Ford shows up...) etc., just to give some context- but I agree, movie reviews are a tough thing without giving a lot away. You can still be general, though- talking about how it was made, the acting, etc. without getting into specifics I think. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your review - i agree with Laura & maybe a brief description would be good when you dont want to give too much away

    I shall try & get us more passes :)

    ReplyDelete