Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Eve

The timing of seeing NYE Friday December 30, the night before celebrating New Years was perfect. Anne and I saw the movie in Sherwood in a packed theater. I was fairly impressed with the longevity of the movie's run, it was released December 9th. Garry Marshall has become The director of the celebrity ensemble rom com. The how-many-celebs-can-they-get-in-one-flick sub genre. There actually were more actors than the trailer even showed. Several well known actors delivered one line in one scene. Marshall also directed Valentine's Day and Ashton Kutcher and Jessica Biel appear in both. I was not excited for Valentine's Day when it came out, though I did enjoy it after encouragement to see it. I was much more enthused for NYE. The review that there were too many characters and little time with each that Anne shared with me before the movie started served as a warning that helped me to enjoy the movie more. I am a strong believer in the idea that if you hear something negative about a movie, it can often lead to enjoying it more than you would have without the bad review. If you are looking for a light and fun movie and you are a fan of these types of movies, you will enjoy New Years Eve. It actually did not even seem like that much of a romantic comedy to me. Clearly it is but I was more concerned with what was going to happen to some of the characters than if certain couples were going to get together. Those were a given with this type of movie.
Moments that stick out: Kutcher's character does not like New Years and has a line about why and how New Years Eve is amateur night. I turned to Anne and said, that is what Cupcake ALWAYS says about New Years!! There is another scene that I can make no specific comments about but as soon as it happened, I knew I would reflect favorably upon this movie no matter what. If and when you have seen the movie, please lets talk and savor that together.

Snow White with Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen was one of the trailers before NYE. Looks fantastic and Roberts seems to be hilarious and amazing in the role. I think I may actually like her for real now (she has always seemed somewhat non genuine to me, a quality that tends to be my main reason for not liking an actor).

Celebrating New Years Day the Katie Way, I will be meeting Emily for George Clooney's the Descendants tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment