Monday, January 2, 2012

Oscar ballots mailed out

Things are officially getting real. The ballots to nearly 6,000 Academy members have been mailed. One of my wildest dreams is still to be a member, not just to vote but to get my hands on all of those screener DVDs. Oscar guru Dave Karger at Entertainment Weekly updated his lists of the movies most likely to be nominated shortly before New Years and after the ballots were mailed out December 27th. 

Thus far I have seen, The Artist, The Descendants, J Edgar, Moneyball, Ides of March, The Help, Midnight in Paris, Bridesmaids, Harry Potter and Young Adult. These movies are some of the most likely to be nominated. It is fun at this point in the process when it seems possible that movies like Bridesmaids and Young Adult could receive some Oscar love. Realistically it is not likely. I will be very enthusiastic about any nominations but for comedies the award is just being nominated. The Descendants is by far my favorite at this point and I am very pleased that along with the Artist, they are the two movies near the top of the most lists. I am struggling for motivation to see Hugo and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I have absolutely no desire to see War Horse. I am very excited to see Iron Lady, Meryl Streep as Margaret Thatcher though it is not yet playing in Portland. My Week With Marylin is only at Fox Tower but I suspect it will be expanding to say Bridgeport soon. I also plan to rent Beginners, Drive, Tree of Life and Melancholia. We shall see what becomes official when the nominations are announced Tuesday, January 24th.

I am writing this with the Rose Bowl on in the background. Every time they mention Badger Montee Ball, I think that they are referring to Moneyball with Brad Pitt. Go Ducks!!

2 comments:

  1. Hugo was great, so give it a chance! We saw it on Black Friday with Tricia and Justin and all four of us really enjoyed it. Also, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is such a good book and the movie looks very promising will all those good actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie - I really think you should be invited into the Academy and vote for the best picture of the year. My favorite movie of the year so far is The Descendants! :)

    ReplyDelete