Sunday, February 26, 2012

The 84th Academy Awards

It was a nice surprise that Morgan Freeman opened the ceremony by introducing the sequence in which nine time host Billy Crystal appeared in the films of 2011. I loved that when Crystal made comments referencing James Earl Jones and Martin Scorsese, when the cameras cut to them, their shoulders were shaking in genuine laughter. My friends and I played along with the drinking game that the ladies of Bridesmaids created during the SAG Awards, drink whenever you hear Scorsese. It was so great when the girls did it again at the Oscars.

Meryl Streep's win in the Best Actress category was a surprise. While she was in a close race with Viola Davis, I was fairly shocked by her win. I did cast my vote for George Clooney, knowing full well that Jean Dujardin (whose name I made the effort to learn to correctly pronounce, as well as Demian Bichir) might take it. To quote my sister's status on facebook, "like Meryl Streep needed another one. Viola Davis was gypped." I do think Meryl earned it, but none the less, I was taken by surprise. I honestly was torn, I think Glenn Close, Meryl, Michelle Williams and Viola really had Oscar worthy performances. The statistics show that if a nominated actress wears gold, they tend to win -- Meryl proved that.

Octavia Spencer was tearing up when they announced her name, it was tough not to cry when she was announced as the winner for Best Supporting Actress by Christian Bale. I loved how her costars Viola Davis and fellow nominee Jessica Chastain kissed her on her victory on her way up to the podium. Christopher Plummer deserved his win for Beginners for Best Supporting Actor and set an Oscar record for the oldest winner at 82 years young.

Crystal hosted a solid and classic show -- just what the Oscar telecast should be. The "insert your name here" theater was made over to look like a classic theater. The theme of the show was the movie going experience that we all share. Just part of what makes me love movies so much.

My friends made comment after comment about Angelina Jolie's gauntness -- more than one suggested she needed to eat a cupcake. Regardless, I may chop my hair off and get Cameron Diaz's new do -- loved it.

While the topic of baked goods is up, Laura made a wonderfully tasty cake, an Oscar tradition at my parties, that featured images representing each of the nine Best Picture nominees. I also told Marla that I would stay up and re-watch Bridesmaids and the Help on DVD into the wee hours of the morning, I might just.
Can you tell which image symbolizes each of the nine Best Picture nominees in Laura's cake of the year?


Laura and I tied each other again with 18/24 category predictions correct, one more correct than last year.

Looking forward to Jimmy Kimmel's special in a few minutes. Fashion tomorrow.

The winners...
Best Cinematography: Robert Richardson, Hugo
Best Art Direction: Dante Ferretti and Francesca Lo Schavo, Hugo
Best Costume Design: Mark Bridges, The Artist
Best Makeup: Mark Coulier and J. Roy Helland, The Iron Lady
Best Foreign Language Film: A Separation
Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
Best Editing: Kirk Baxter and Angus Wall, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Best Sound Editing: Phillip Stockton and Eugene Gearty, Hugo
Best Sound Mixing: Tom Fleischman and John Midgley, Hugo
Best Documentary: Undefeated
Best Animated Feature: Rango
Best Visual Effects: Hugo
Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource, The Artist
Best Original Song: Bret McKenzie, Man or Muppet
Best Adapted Screenplay: Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, The Descendants
Best Original Screenplay: Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
Best Live Action Short: The Shore
Best Documentary Short: Saving Face
Best Animated Short: The Fantastic Flying Books Of Mr Morris Lessmore
Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Best Actress: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Best Picture: The Artist

Marie, Dana and Laura
Dana, Deborah, Katy, Marla, Laura, Marie, Anne and Emily's face 
At various times in college, I lived with these awesome women! 

1 comment:

  1. Nice post! Linked to your blog from http://keepingplacewithkate.blogspot.com. Keep up the good work in the "new" movie year. :)

    ReplyDelete